During the week of my birthday, I noticed a couple of posts popping up around the blogosphere that revolved around setting goals for milestone birthdays. (The two in particular that crossed my path were Vee’s 25 before 25 and Amanda’s 30 before 30, but they are definitely not the only ones to create posts like this.) While I was hesitant to come up with my own list at first, worrying that if I were to not reach these goals by my 30th birthday I’d end up being disappointed in myself, I ultimately decided it was worth a go. Not only did I want to see what 30 items I would come up with, but I decided that even if I didn’t accomplish them all just making a conscious effort towards making them happen would make me a happier person. Who wouldn’t want that?
It’s actually funny when I think about what I thought life would be like a decade ago versus what it is now. I always thought once high school was over I would figure everything out and by 30 I’d have this whole list of accomplishments I could rattle off: a family, a home, a good job. It all just seemed so much simpler then… and of course it was.
But now? I would just like to figure out how to be a functional adult, if I’m honest. I’d like to be able to make and maintain friendships without having a meltdown or letting my insecurities rule me. I’d like to find a job that I actually enjoy and not one that I’ve ended up with just because it was the easiest option at the time. I’d like to learn how to accept the bad days and not let them consume me to the point that months pass by without me realizing. I’d just like to do a lot of the everyday things that I think some people take for granted.
So, without further ado, my 30 before 30 list: a collection of things I want to work on during these next two years before I hit the next big birthday milestone, a majority of which I feel will help transform me into a happier version of myself.
Friends, Family, and Love
1. Make a conscious effort to stay in touch with friends.
2. Reach out to old friends, colleagues, etc. and give thanks/bury negativity/let go of grudges.
3. Continue a steady rotation of pen pals.
4. Regularly spend quality time with my family.
5. Convince Steph (my sister-in-law) to go out drinking and dancing with me one more time.
6. Successfully secure a spouse visa to move to the UK with Dave.
7. Have a lovely wedding to the man of my dreams!
8. Determine “us” activities/days for Dave and I.
9. Take extra special care of my dogs to the best of my ability.
Mental and Physical Health
10. Keep peeing clear (aka staying hydrated).
11. Practice mindful eating.
12. Continue taking dental hygiene seriously.
13. Make yoga a daily habit.
14. Successfully complete C25K.
15. Start challenging my brain by learning again.
16. Go back to using a daily mood journal/gratitude list.
17. Practice positive thinking.
Blog, Creation, and Career
18. Create everyday.
19. Step outside of my creative comfort zone.
20. Continue blogging in a way that makes me happy.
21. Explore creative work as a possible source of income.
22. Become employed, whether traditional or freelance.
23. Give YouTube another shot.
Other Hobbies and Travel
24. Continue taking care of my succulents.
25. Get back into habit of using DSLR.
26. Read at least 24 books a year.
27. Take dance lessons.
28. Visit a new country.
29. Go on a road trip.
30. Go camping.
That’s it! Now, I originally was going to write more details next to each item on the list but, well, I ramble a lot and this post would’ve been super-duper long so I didn’t. If you’re curious about any of the items above though and want to know more, leave a comment and I’ll let you know about the thought process behind my various goals.
Do you have a 30 before 30 list (or a similar equivalent)? Love the idea or meh? Any items that would be on your list that are similar to mine? And do you think your list has drastically changed compared to what it was a decade ago? Let me know in the comments below!